Monday, August 30, 2010

Alexander's Birthday!

So I started having contractions on Thursday, August 26th. I was at a regular check up and my Dr. decided to send me to the hospital to just check. We went, waited, got checked. I was 1 cm dilated and was having contractions every 8 min-12 min. They told me to go home and rest and if the contractions got closer together I should come in.

I had contractions all weekend long, went on lots of long walks and didn't sleep well at all.

Enter Monday morning at 3 am. I woke up to stronger contractions and much more frequent. i waited until 5:30 and woke up Adam. We got dressed, got ready took some pictures and went on our way.

When we got there, the check in area was closed so we went to the nurses station. They had no where to sit and after we checked in we had to stand around in a hall for about 10 minutes without any help. Finally someone took us to an exam room. They kept having doctors come in and check me. We were at a teaching hospital so every time they came in they had one doctor, one almost doctor and one student. They all got to practice on you. Wow! What fun that was!

I was finally admitted around 10:30am. The contractions kept getting stronger but I didn't want to get the epidural til later because I wanted to get up and walk around.

Here is my last pregnancy photo. This is when I was about a 5. It was uncomfortable but at least I got to move!
So at about 3pm I decided to get the epidural because they were going to break my water. The Anesthesiologist and his student came in. It took forever and it was a little disconcerting because he kept whispering "No, not there" or "I wouldn't do that". I kept wishing the actual doctor would do it.

After that, they came in and broke my water. I told them that they should get ready because the women in my family go really quickly once the water breaks. They just told me it would be at least 6 hours and that it would probably take longer because it was my first. They broke my water a little after 6 and so we got ready for a long night. Well, around 8 I started feeling like I wanted to push. I told the nurse, she smiled at me, said that it was too soon, but I could try if I wanted. She helped me get in position for a "practice" push. I did. She looked down and told me very firmly to stop and then went and got the doctors. Apparently his head was appearing in that first push.

All the doctors came rushing in, remember, teaching hospital, TONS of students. They all get ready, Adam and I are ready and they tell me to push.

Three contractions later and Xander made his entrance. What an amazing little guy!!!
Here is our first family photo. Welcome Alexander Keith!!!

6 comments:

Nattles said...

You gotta love it when they don't beleive you! As if you don't know you're own body! You're so gorgeous even after hours of labor! Such a cute little guy!

Zach and Linds said...

Congratulations!!!! Can't wait to see more pictures! You looks so beautiful, even at a 5! Amazing!

Brookish99 said...

Yay Xander!!! :) I am so happy for your family! Keep the pictures and updates coming!!! xoxo

Jen said...

I miss him so much!
I can't wait until you post more pictures of little Xander.
I hope things are going well for you all.
I don't know about you but I still kinda feel like I'm in that "newborn fog" where nothing gets done!!!!!
However, Tommy isn't really a newborn anymore so hopefully I can get my act together soon!;)
We are counting the days, hours and minutes until we can see you again.
Love you guys!

andy von harten said...

He's a little cootie woo. :) That's what we say at our house. Congratulations! I know he's a few few months old now, but still! Congratulations are still in order. You guys look great, so happy. Woohoo!

andy von harten said...

oops- that last comment was from me, staci. i just realized i'm on andy's side of the computer and he was logged in. der.