Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Confessions

Okay, so here it is. I am having some issues that I would like your opinion on. Adam and I are trying to be professional actors. We have found, in our experience, that you need to be a member of the Actors Equity Association to even begin to hope to make it. The reason we are currently residing in Jacksonville, FL is for the purpose of earning enough points (meaning weeks) to be accepted into the union. Once you are a member, you get to schedule auditions for professional shows, you have a 401K, you have health insurance plus you get paid more per show. Now I know that because of our situation with not being able to start a family yet we should really work hard and do as many shows as possible. You have to have 50 weeks in order to be accepted. Adam has 40 weeks and I have 31 weeks. Here is my problem.

Adam and I have a wedding in Vegas that we were going to go to June 14th. We were also going to go to Utah for a couple days and see all of our friends and family. I haven't seen any of my family for almost a year and I miss them sooooo much! Adam and I were going to have an actual vacation. Fun, right? See, since I started at this theatre in November, I have not had any time off. I got Christmas day off and Easter day off and I believe 3 more days periodically throughout the past 6 months, but really only 5-7 days off total. Meaning I work Sunday through Saturday. Now I am so blessed that I get to go to all of my church meetings and choir practice on Sunday's, and I am blessed to be able to work as a full time actor, but it is starting to get a bit taxing. Enter dilemma.

The owner/producer/director called me up and asked me to be in the next show. I didn't audition for it because I know how this theater works. Understudies do NOT go on. They are on paper and that is it. So if I do the show, I do NOT go with Adam to the wedding and to see the family. Now, I am very grateful for the work and the opportunity, but I also was REALLY looking forward to a little break.

Pros
*If I do the show, I catch up weeks with Adam and then we are both only 10 weeks away from our Union Membership
*Do a favor for the boss, he does have the power to just give me my Union Membership
*I get a raise if I do it
*I have guaranteed work till the end of July
*I get to add yet another show to my resume

Cons
*No vacation, time off, or family time
*Long hours for about 2 weeks while I am rehearsing one show and preforming in the other. 14-16 hours a day
*Stuck in Actionville no matter what for another 9 weeks
*Another show to add to my resume, but at the same theater

This may seem silly, but I do want your opinions. I really am so blessed to be able to have this as my big crisis. Thanks for you advice friends!

4 comments:

Tiff said...

That really is a tough one, and I really have no advice at all (which is weird for me). Probably because I had to give up performing completely or I would've allowed it to consume my life. So, I have no clue.

I think it depends mostly on timing. Are you in a huge rush to get those weeks because you also want to start a family soon? And does having Equity affect whether or not you can start doing that?

Here's the thing: Everyone needs a break. When I was in Japan, I almost lost my mind because I never got a break. However, also... connections are huge, and you wouldn't want to lose a theatre connection by disappointhing the dude.

See? Told you I didn't have any good advice.

Um.... pray about it....?

Brett and Lisa said...

That is a tough one, ANGE! How bad would it be if you didn't do the show? If it wouldn't damage your relationship with your boss to take a break and perhaps help him out with the next show, then I would take a break. To be honest, it seems as if your heart is leaning toward visiting home, at least that is what it seems in your post. Butm I could be wrong. YOu have the pros and cons, so go with your gut! Love you!

Rebecca said...

How close are you to the Orlando Temple? :) I would definetly take it to the Lord. I think I agree with Lisa...if it won't damage your relationship with your boss you should think about taking the break. Just my 2 cents.

Utah Food Guy said...

Hmmm, you guys are so anxious to get your cards and you have been working so hard towards obtaining them, this seems like a good opportunity put in your way to get you that much closer to the card.

Do you think he would consider just giving you your card? That would be some nice icing on the cake, eh?

I make terrible recommendations I am sure, because theatre tends to consume my entire life. I have given up a LOT of vacations for theatre (I think I have had one in 5 years) and while I miss the vacation time, I always think that what I am doing will bring me one step closer to enjoying my future vacations more.

Whatever you decide, go with it all the way! You don't want to go on vacation upset at yourself for missing an opportunity and you don't want to go into the show upset that it took away your vacation. ;)

Thought I would drop that on here, especially as I haven't talked to you guys in a few months! I hope you are in New York come October, because that is where we will be!!

Kevin G.